LINK TO OUR JOURNEY TO JILLIANA

LINK TO OUR JOURNEY TO JILLIANA
CLICK ON JILLIANA'S PHOTO TO FOLLOW OUR JOURNEY TO CHINA

Friday, July 18, 2008

We almost blow up the castle!

CLEANING UP THE MESS! THE STOVE TOP AFTER MEGHAN AND I WERE DONE WITH IT THE GLASS FLEW ALL OVER THE KITCHEN
It has been really hard to get an internet connection here at our castle so I will update as much as possible and as fast as i can before I lose it again. We have been having a great time and Emma and Meilynn are doing great! That is not to say that there have been a few meltdowns, but that is normal and I am quite pleased with how well they are traveling. Usually the meltdown is from being overtired. We have had a few mishaps also. We are staying in this beautiful villa right next to a castle. It is three stories and has three bathrooms, three bedrooms a formal living area and two family rooms with a dining room and kitchen. We have been cooking breakfast and a few dinners. The second night that we were here Mike asked Meghan to put on a pot of water to boil pasta while he and Kami were at the Coop, which is the little local market. Meghan started the pot to boil and then I came in to start the sauce. (Only Mike had used the stove at this point and many things are different here, I tell you this so that we don't appear so stupid!) I cut up the garlic and basil and was ready to put it on the stove top. I called to Meghan who was now watching the girls and asked her how to use the stove. She started it for me. I couldn't tell where to put the pan. There were no circles showing where to put it. I asked her how you know where to put it and how do you know it is on since it did not light up. ( I thought it was an electric stove since it had a flat surface) She told me you just look under here and you see the flame so you know where to put it and that it was on. This is when I discovered that it was really a gas stove. I thought it was strange but then I also thought how cool to have a gas stove with a cover, so much easier to clean! ( Also, I have only cooked on a gas stove before) Meghan went back to watching the girls and I continued cutting up things for the sauce. All of a sudden there is this loud explosion!!!! The top of the stove blew up into a million little pieces. Glass flew everywhere. I was so lucky to not get hurt and especially lucky that the girls were in the other room with Meghan and not with me! I thought that the explosion would be heard all over the castle grounds and that someone would come knocking on our door at any minute. Meghan and I found out that the top was just a cover, not to cook on the hard way. Mike and Kami came back and I said we have a bit of a problem here. He could not believe that we had done that! We had to tell the people at reception and they were very nice about it but I am sure that our deposit will be paying for that stovetop.

2 comments:

Nicholas said...

I hope they use metal next time if they still want to have a cover, I'm glad everyone is okay that could have been really dangerous! If it makes you feel beetter I'm sure other people have done it too because I couldn't see glass shattering after the first time it got heated.

Anonymous said...

Don't say anything about my cooking! Ha! Ha! Debbie