LINK TO OUR JOURNEY TO JILLIANA

LINK TO OUR JOURNEY TO JILLIANA
CLICK ON JILLIANA'S PHOTO TO FOLLOW OUR JOURNEY TO CHINA

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Emma Is In Foster Care

In July of 2004, there were approximately 150 babies at the orphanage. In January of 2005, there were nearly 200. As of January 2006, according to the Civil Affairs office, there are 200 children,and 160 of these are under 10 months of age. There is one care taker per 15 children and they work in 12 hour shifts (for the infants they have caretakers working in 8 hour shifts). Because of the large numbers of infants being abandoned in the region, they started a rudimentary foster care program where some families have 4-5 infants each. Today when I was talking to my adoption agency they informed me that Emma is in foster care. This was a surprise to me because I had just read that they had just started a foster care program. Then I found the above paragraph that says that their is a foster care program where some families have 4-5 infants. So I really don't now if Emma is in a foster home by herself or with more babies. I do know that at the moment it is a better place for her because she is getting more individualized care. But, it also may make her adjustment to us more difficult because of the separation from her foster family, added to her separation from the orphanage, and the first separation from her birth mom and dad. That is a lot for a small baby to handle. Pray that Emma will be able to attach to us after all this trauma she has experienced. My agency said to expect a grieving time that may result in closing herself off, crying, regressing, or any number of coping mechanisms a baby will come up with. I know that God has placed Emma in our family and we will do our best to show her how much she is loved.

No comments: